Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Little Lisa's Apple Crisp

 Lisa with something going into the oven

I was just reviewing all my posts and I find I haven't even bothered with a new recipe for quite some time so I'll trot out this old chestnut (I know I've mixed the metaphors here but we could assume that the chestnut was a mare and not the nut). Okay maybe that is just the lack of sleep talking now. Before I get too far along here lets figure out what this recipe is all about.

When my daughter was first getting into cooking I taught her that you always want to have one dish that is a backup, sure fire, never fail dish and hers turned out to be the Apple Crisp. Living as we do, near some of the best apple orchards in the world, this dish was a natural.

The Apples:

10-12 Apples (I prefer the Macintosh but only if they are fresh), peeled and sliced into varying thicknesses – the thin bits become nice and juicy and the thick bits give you the crunch you want.
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp or so of cinnamon
Scant splash of water

Put the scant splash of water in a 2 quart pot and add the apples. Heat at a medium heat til you start to get moisture out of the apples, then
Add brown sugar and cinnamon
Continue to stir periodically at low heat for about 8-10 minutes (don’t let it become applesauce but ensure that the juices are starting to come out)

The Crisp
1 cup flour
1 cup quick oats
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 – 2 tsp cinnamon
¾ cup chilled butter

Mix all the dry ingredients and then cut in the butter with a pastry cutter – mixture should be pea sized and uniform

Pour the apple mixture into an ungreased 9x13 casserole dish and then sprinkle the crisp topping evenly over the apples.

Bake in a 350 F oven for 20 minutes or until the apple mixture is bubbling nicely

1 comment:

  1. what about a cat? would you be a cat in a country song?

    Just a wonderin?

    Vern

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. Ever since old Rebel rolled on me and I've been strapped to this old hospital bed I've enjoyed whatever posts come my way.