Saturday, April 17, 2010

Lens Envy

Allen with a monster lens!

pregnant Mule Deer- notice bulge in her belly, back left.

Well, we had a great day yesterday - I took my friend - David Williams, my father - Ralph Ritcey, and the president of the Canadian Association of Photographic Artists - Allen Bargen out on a photographic safari in the grasslands of the interior. Safari sounds much better than simply saying "driving around, hoping we would see something."

Luck was on our side and we were afforded some great opportunities with bighorn sheep, mule deer, yellow-bellied marmots, vast vistas and a multitude of songbirds and raptors.

Now Allen has "shot" animals from Africa to Alaska and has the equipment to get the job done right. Father and David have equipment that is considerably better than your average photographer would pack around and I have the digital equivalent of a "Brownie" point and shoot. It was fun none-the-less as I gave up on the photography part early on in the trip and got to concentrate on finding things to "shoot" and making up fun facts about the area.

I had warned Allen that having my father along would greatly reduced my ability to point out interesting facts about the flora, fauna and other un-natural history of the area as my father can be a stickler for facts. I, on the other hand, find facts to be terribly limiting when one is trying to inform or entertain. However, between father and David providing the factual information and I providing the other type of information - sort of like the Entertainment Tonight type of information - we managed to present an interesting introduction to the grasslands of the interior.


As it was, Allen managed to shoot close to 600 images and I got an hour or so of passable video - video which I will post here shortly. Hopefully I'll be able to get a couple of Allen's photos to post here to show people what a really good photographer can do.

Now to go work on my solar panels - which will be featured here shortly.


Wolf lichens on old growth Douglas Fir

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. Ever since old Rebel rolled on me and I've been strapped to this old hospital bed I've enjoyed whatever posts come my way.