Thursday, June 10, 2010

A long ways from home

Adrift on a sea of concrete.

It's been awhile since I posted to my blog but then things have been busy. I have been on the road for quite some time and am hunkered down in a concrete bunker in the beautiful hamlet of Kitchener. Now those with a keen ear can hear the sarcasm in my voice.

I know it's not nice to bad mouth another's home but I'm afraid that I just can't warm up to the notion of the asphalt kingdoms that we produce. Urban sprawl from the center of the hive (Toronto) spews out in all directions, much like a plume of BP oil. Unfortunately though, unlike the BP plume, this sprawl will never be capped. I'm hoping those brave Manitobans will be able to construct some type of dike at their borders that will force the super-city to turn back on itself and force the toxic plume of civilization eastward.

Wait now, the sun is poking out again and the city doesn't look quite so bad. Perhaps I am just bitter from the food poisoning I got last night. It has been awhile since I felt that rough and so, like a snake who has been handled a little too roughly, I want to strike out and bite anything close to me. Sorry Kitchener.

I've met some nice people here - mainly cab drivers. It is interesting how each city gets its cab drivers from a different part of the world. Here, they are from Russia and the surrounding countries. My last cabbie was a very happy and well spoken Serbian who was bent on saving us some cabfare by taking every shortcut imaginable. His best maneuver consisted of scooting across 3 lanes of oncoming traffic, cutting across a lawn, through a parking lot and zipping across 5 lanes of traffic and coming to a screeching halt in the parking lot of our hotel. He managed to knock 5 cents off the previous fare and about 5 years off my life.

I think I now know how Geronimo felt when he was taken from his homelands and imprisoned in the east. He told his captors "The pinyon-jay pines for me." I would like to think that the yellow bellied racers are missing me but I know better. Geronimo never made it home. Hopefully I'll fare better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. Ever since old Rebel rolled on me and I've been strapped to this old hospital bed I've enjoyed whatever posts come my way.