Sunday, July 4, 2010

Holy Guacamole Batman!

Peppers, garlic and onions before the beef.

I just realized it has been a fortnight or two since I have posted a recipe, and having just finished an incredibly delicious meal with my daughter, I thought I would share this little culinary gem. The following is my Mexican inspired, somewhat local meal plan.

It is basically a nacho dish made with local beef - check out The Chop N Block, for some of the best local beef around, fresh produce, picked up at Gourmet Greens, and some Fresh is Best tortilla chips. I will have to talk to the owners of the other two shops as they don't have a website yet, but we won't hold that against them. I like to shop with local merchants when they provide me with service, quality products, and fair prices and all three of the aforementioned do just that.

So the process is simple: heat up your cast iron skill with a light swirl of oil and saute the following chopped items: 3 or 4 cloves of garlic, half an onion, half of each red, green, yellow and orange peppers. Once the vegetables are about half way done, add .5 to .75 kilos of lean ground beef, brown and season with: season salt, garlic powder, Montreal Steak Spice and a shot or two of Frank's Hot Sauce.

While the meat is browning, make your guacamole. I use: 3 ripe avocados, 1/2 tomato, 1/3 onion, juice from half a lemon, couple shots of Tabasco sauce, pinch or three of salt, 2 or three cloves of garlic (optional and not traditional). All of these ingredients are chopped coarsely and then blended together with a power blender. I season as I'm building this as it varies with the size of your avocados.

To serve, it is just a layer of tortilla chips, a layer of the meat mixture, cheese and a big dollop of guacamole on top. Served hot with a nice cold beverage and a view of the North Thompson in the valley below, it could not get any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. Ever since old Rebel rolled on me and I've been strapped to this old hospital bed I've enjoyed whatever posts come my way.