Sunday, September 19, 2010

Can't win in the photography game

Golden mantled ground-squirrel


So, on one of my trips this summer we had occasion to take a shortcut on a backroad over the Purcell mountains between Kootenay Lake and Cranbrook. It was on this lonely stretch of road that we came upon a golden mantled ground-squirrel and then, a little further down the road, a pride of Pikas.

Now I don't know what the proper moniker for a group of the little rodents is, but "pride of Pikas" has a nice ring to it.

Anyhow, I got some photos, not great by any stretch of the imagination, but good enough to share with my less critical friends and of species rare enough that I was feeling pretty good about my efforts.

I returned home, uploaded my photos and fired up my email and got ready to send off the aforementioned photos. Before I could though, I noticed an email from my friend Peter (the real wildlife photographer) who had been down in the the southern mountains as well.

I opened his message and was shocked to see that he had trumped me without even trying. Not only did he have golden mantled ground squirrel pictures and Pika pictures but he had a picture of a golden mantled ground-squirrel eating a Pika! At that point I realized I had better stick to the video stuff and leave the still photos to others.

Pika (not being eaten by a golden mantled ground squirrel)

1 comment:

  1. It's Official. More than two pika's is now known as a pride. Another entertaining post!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. Ever since old Rebel rolled on me and I've been strapped to this old hospital bed I've enjoyed whatever posts come my way.