Tuesday, October 26, 2010

What's new pussy-cat?

Actually I should of had a picture of a pussycat to go with the above title, but I am at present too filled with sloth to look through my volumes to find the aforesaid  pic.

I think it is the dark dreary days of fall that have been getting me down - those and the six fudge brownies and the coronas that passed for supper last night. Oh, and about the fudge brownies. . . .

I guess that is what I should write about today - how not to make fudge brownies. Even if the recipe doesn't call for it, a seasoned chef, such as myself, should know to lightly grease and flour the pan before adding the dough. I didn't and I ended up with and upside-down -sideways wreck of a pile of baked brownie goo when I went to release it from the pan. Still very delicious but not very presentable. Loyd and I fell upon the mess like pirates on a merchant ship so as to destroy any evidence of my mistakes.

I had to quickly rebuild the project as I had promised my good wife that I would bake something for her drum group. This time it worked perfectly. My secret - add a cup or two of chocolate chips to the mix - which gives it that extra blast of sugar and chocolaty goodness. Here's the recipe for

Frank's no-fail fudge-ee-ohs brownies!

Melt 3/4cup butter in glass bowl in microwave
Add two cups white sugar and beat in
Add big splash of vanilla extract
When mixture is cool add three eggs and beat til smooth

In a second bowl mix together
1.5 cups flour
.5 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1-2 cups chocolate chips

Mix the contents of the two bowls together
Turn out on a lightly greased and floured 8x11.5 pan
(or whatever your smallest cake pan is - I like to use the blue glass one that I keep next to the flour bin)

Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes
When the brownies start to pull away from the edge of the pan, they are done.

Remove and cool before cutting


And for no particular reason, other than I have just finished it, here is my latest clip from the world of youtube.

1 comment:

  1. loving the slow motion Frank and looking forward to one of those brownies next time we venture out into the wilds.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. Ever since old Rebel rolled on me and I've been strapped to this old hospital bed I've enjoyed whatever posts come my way.