Sunday, February 20, 2011

Ram Slam



Well I said on my last post that I was wishing for something worthwhile to post today and that wish has apparently come true.

On my way out to Tranquille I stopped to watch the sheep as they were grazing along the hillside above the tracks. I had just set up my camera when two of the younger rams (about 6-7 years of age) started bashing heads.

As I watched the animals square off it became apparent that this wasn't just an isolated incident but a good proportion of the herd was taking part. The crash of the horns could be heard coming from distant rocky slopes, hidden gullies and fortuitously, right in front of me.

Watch the last part of the clip and it sounds like a single crash, but when I slow it down you can hear the two distinct sounds made when first one set of horns collide and then the next.

All in all a great day. I am heading out again today to see what I can capture.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome.

    I found you on youtube a few months ago when I was trying to find the inside of a moose's mind (and how to call one in close ); I just discovered your blog from a more recent video you posted. The tag went unfilled this season, but I spent a lot of late 2010 in the bush, and learned a lot from it. I didn't actually hold the tag this year, and couldn't seem to get close to any moose when I was out with our party, but when I went scouting on my own (we just moved to Newfoundland in the summer, and I wasn't working here until recently so I had more opportunity to do so than my hunting partners did), I managed to stalk well within range of a large bull that was hot on the trail of an estrus cow. Even got him to stop dead in his tracks, completely broadside at about 50 yards, with a soft grunt. It was great. I worked all summer in Gros Morne National Park on a bird survey, and saw at least a half-dozen moose at close range every day, but this was better. I'm looking forward to next year.

    I've mostly only had time to watch feeder finches through the window here the last few weeks, but have some time off coming up, and hope to get back outside some more. Being our first winter here in Corner Brook, I've become quite familiar with the local bird congregation spots around the bay-- i.e. the sewage outlets. But the copious snow is starting to settle with some recent warm weather, so it's probably time to get the snowshoes out and see what's wandering around in the bush at this time of year.

    I look forward to more of your blog.

    Cheers,
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeff: Thanks for the comments. We have been out to Gros Morne and it was beautiful and the people were very friendly. I think at one time Newfoundland boasted more moose than people on the island. Those are my type of odds. Take care and let us know how your moose hunting goes this year. Frank

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. Ever since old Rebel rolled on me and I've been strapped to this old hospital bed I've enjoyed whatever posts come my way.